Friday, February 26, 2010

Facebook: the unknowing crimefighting vigilante of the internet

My mother always told me to be careful what I put on facebook because I may never find a job if future employers see me slamming beers and smoking hookah. I never really took those words to heart until I read this story in the Kearney Hub about a Nebraska State Penitentiary guard in Lincoln who made a post stating “When you work in a prison a good day is getting to smash an inmates face into the ground ... for me today was a VERY good day,” which sparked replies from two coworkers who agreed with him. Now all three find themselves in a very uncomfortable spot as former State Senator Ernie Chambers is calling for their dismissal from service. This proved to me that not only was my mom right, but also that the inmates may not be the dangerous ones to watch out for in prison. Its going to be Abu Ghraib all over again if they aren't mindful of what they put on the social networking powerhouse, and it is a valuable lesson for our facebook generation to take note of.

No comments:

Post a Comment